Youth and Early Years Page
Young Persons Support Groups
- Samaritans on 116 123 (Listening support available 24/7, for all ages)
- SaneLine 0300 304 7000 (Out of hours support service for those aged 16 and over, available 4.30pm until 10.30pm). If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and need support, you can text SHOUT to 85258. (The service is available to all ages, available 24/7)
- Childline at www.childline.org.uk (Phone, webchat, or email service for those aged 18 years old and under, available 24/7)
- Hope Line on 0800 068 41 41 (For young people under the age of 35, open 10am – 10pm weekdays; 2pm – 10pm weekends; 2pm – 10pm bank holidays)
- The Mix at www.themix.org.uk/ (Phone, webchat, or email service for those aged under 25 years old, opening times vary)
If you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do, please contact NHS 111 (Available to all ages, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
Childline launches new app 'For Me' is the first app to counsel young people via smartphone
Childline has launched an app that is the first to provide counselling to young people in need of help directly through their mobile devices.
The app has been named 'For Me' to ensure that it can be discreetly installed.
This means that if someone happens to see the young person's phone they can't tell it's a Childline service. See the website for more details and to download the app www.nspcc.org.uk
Information and Support
Information and support for young people www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport
If you are between 11-19 you can arrange your own appointment with the School Nurse Team via a text service (which operates between 9am - 5pm) on 07520 615387. THIS IS CONFIDENTIAL and you should get a response the same day if you contact them during those hours or outside of these times, you will get a standard reply with some contact numbers if you need urgent advice.
Future in Mind
Emotional, Mental Health and Wellbeing Services for Children and Young People - Find out what's available in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Future in Mind Service User Leaflet
Young Minds offers information to young people about mental health and emotional wellbeing
DistrACT App for Young People
Expert Self Care www.expertselfcare.com/ believes it is important for young people to have access to good reliable information in order to make the right choices about their health and be in control of their wellbeing and has developed a free app to provide support, advice and health information for those considering self-harm or suicide.
KOOTH - Free on-line counselling for CYP in LLR (self-referral)
What is Kooth?
Children and young people aged 11-18 can now access counselling online through a locally commissioned Kooth website https://www.kooth.com/
Kooth.com is an award winning FREE online counselling and wellbeing service, providing emotional and psychological support and advice for children and young people. Kooth.com is Anonymous, Confidential, Safe and Easy to use – Young people can make up their username when they sign up and chat privately with a trainer counsellor, or get involved in our magazine and online community or through our forums.
Available when young people need it – 24 hours. Messaging and chat rooms open till 10pm – 365 days per year to drop in and talk to someone. Counsellors are available from 12 noon till 10pm, Monday to Friday and from 6pm-10pm on Saturday and Sunday.
- Professional and personal – Young people can read about and choose which counsellor to contact. All the online counsellors are qualified, experienced and have enhanced DBS checks.
- Flexible – Young people have the choice to drop in when they want, or if preferred can arrange a booked time to talk with a counsellor.
- A joined up service –links with schools, community based services and health services to make sure young people get the best help they need at the time they need it.
Tips and techniques for surviving exam stress
Sexual Health for under 25’s
No appointment necessary
Thursday 6pm-8pm T: 0300 124 0102
Coalville Community Hospital
Broom Leys Road
Confidential advice and support on:
- Implant fitting
- Emergency contraception
- Safer sex
- Pregnancy & options
- STI testing
For more information visit: www.leicestersexualhealth.nhs.uk
Chlamydia testing kits are available at Ashby Health Centre or can be ordered at fillthepot.info
Alternatively you can visit:
Department of Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) at Queen’s Hospital Burton
(Tel: 01283 593212 – Option 2)
Drink & Drugs
Drug Problems - Narcotics Anonymous
If you have a drug problem - talk to someone who’s been there
Leicester and Leicestershire Youth Service
Offer support to young people who are affected by drugs and alcohol. Offer free, confidential advice and information. T: 0330 303 6000 E: LLreferrals@turning-point.co.uk W: www.wellbeing.turning-point.co.uk/leicestershire
Track your drinks with our free smartphone app
- Download this new free app today to your smartphone and use it to:
- Track your drinks each day
- View your drinking levels over a week or a fortnight to spot when you’re increasing your risk
- Learn more about the risks
- Get daily tips and feedback
- Add daily notes
- Share with friends via Facebook or Twitter
The drinks tracker is available as a native app for your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.
Download free from the iTunes App Store
It's also available as a native app for your Android device.
Download free from Google play
No smartphone? No problem!
You can keep some ideas to hand with our leaflet, full of info and advice. It’s also got a drinks diary section to help you keep track. Download "Don't let drink sneak up on you" leaflet (PDF, 867KB)
For Healthy Happy Early Years
Web: www.healthforunder5s.co.uk Follow us: Facebook HealthforU5s
ChatHealth - Text a public health nurse (health visitor) for confidential advice and support - Leicester & Rutland 07520 615382
Healthy Together - Ring our advice line to speak to a public health nurse - 0300 3000 007 (not for appointments). This is not an emergency service. For urgent medical attention please contact your GP or call 111 or in an emergency dial 999.